I’ve had some thoughts building for 2012 and some reflections on 2011.
This time last year I was able to put a blog post together of my favorite projects over 2010. But when I thought about doing it for 2011, I decided not to. It wasn’t as creatively productive a year as 2010. My life is so different now. I’m sure yours is too. For me, full time work and kids in school have really, really changed what my day to day looks like. In fact, I briefly considered giving up creative projects altogether. My life would be full, full, full without additional crafting. Am I just forcing something that I really don’t have the time and energy for?
But then a small voice bubbled up and fought back. Do you want your life to just happen? Or do you want to live it? Do want to chose to make it what you want? Or just sit back and ride along?
There are definitely times that I want and need to sit back and just ride along. When I don’t have it in me to fight for something more. And I think that is totally okay. But I don’t want that to be what it is always like. I want my life to be cool. I want to enjoy it and love it and learn and grow and be pushed and challenged. And there are ways that work provides those things for me. There are ways that being a mom REALLY provides those things for me (ahem. pushed and challenged? kids are pretty awesome at that.) But there is also a very real way that making stuff and being crafty and taking on projects does that too. And the difference for me is this: my creative projects are optional. They are choices I make. No one is forcing me to scrapbook or take photos or sew or bake. It’s my play time. And protecting that and making space for it is something I want, and I’d say even need, to prioritize.
But, I don’t think I am able to continue on in the same way I have been over the past five (!) years. I’m finding it more draining than energizing to post everyday. There are things that used to inspire me that don’t anymore and there are new things that have been added to the mix.
So here are some thoughts taking shape for me right now:
1. Baking. I still bake a lot. But my baking has shifted to be more practical and less showy. I like having freshly baked bread and scones around, but I don’t really feel inspired to photograph and post about that as much anymore. Often I post about baking when I am just posting to post. And I want to let go of posting to post. Does that mean you’ll never see cookies and treats here anymore? Of course not. I mean, when its awesome, it’s awesome and I gotta share. :) But I think I want to limit my baking posts to when it’s awesome.
2. Scrapbooking. Oh man. Still love it. I love the record keeping it provides. I love getting down the silly stories (like this and this and this ). I love the combination of writing and photography. And I really like posting scrapbook pages. :) Otherwise, they go in the albums without much show and tell. And I like the show and tell.
3. Writing. Gosh I love to write. I feel self-conscious about writing too much here (hmmm…though you might not be able to tell with my lengthy posts lately!) because I don’t take this crowd for folks that sit and read all of this hooten-nanny (except for you, mom!). But I think instead of aiming to write less…I am going to aim to stop feeling self-conscious about it. If I need to say something, then I need to say something. ;) Right?
4. Sewing. It’s been harder and harder to break out the sewing machine. I’ve tried taking up different hand-sewing projects like working with felt (a much less fussy material) and embroidery, but neither of those have really taken off. I love working with fabric and I love *most* of the sewing projects I’ve taken on. I want to sew more, but first I need to figure out when (my boys are WAY too interested in machines to have peaceful sewing take place with them around) and what (how many quilts does one family need?!). I think for now I will just say: I am going to aim to sew more.
5. Photography. Like I said yesterday, I am in sort of funny place with photography. I feel like I have been in a funny place for a while. And the new phone just complicated things! :) But I feel inspired to just push through and figure it out. Break through whatever weird barrier this is and see what’s on the other side. I plan on continuing posting photography. For the past year or so I have been putting up “weekend” posts on Monday mornings. I think I will continue to do something like that, but not just shots from the weekend. (ha ha! more shots from my phone!) Also, I want to work on more self-portraits.
6. Art Journaling: It’s sooo good for me. I am going to do more. That’s all.
So….who’s still with me?! Anyone? Anyone?
As far as blogging, I think I am going to cut back to four posts a week. :) HUGE change I know…but you’d be surprised at how different that feels to me. Less blogging to blog. More blogging when I have something to show or say. Less worrying if I am boring anyone. More letting this space be what I need it to be.
And that’s where I am at for Made In Brooklyn: 2012. Hopefully it will all be good.